I am a romantic tough guy who believes how you end is more important than how you begin.
Currently Listening to
“My One and Only Love” by John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman
The Souls of Black Folk – W.E.B. Du Bois
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. In other words, be prepared.
Fort Worth, TX
• General Liability/Personal Injury
• Civil Rights Litigation
• Intellectual Property/Entertainment
• Corporate & Commercial
• Real Estate
• State Bar of California
• United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
• United States Supreme Court
RICKEY IVIE is the President and a Founding Partner of Ivie, McNeill & Wyatt. In his 40 years of litigation experience, Mr. Ivie has handled a range of significant matters related to personal injury, wrongful death, civil rights violations, contract disputes, trademark, copyright and corporate and commercial litigation.
He has tried more than 100 jury trials over the span of his career, including the precedent-setting cases Gerald Huffman et al vs. County of Los Angeles and Lincoln Pullin vs. The Vons Companies. Along with his team at Ivie, McNeill & Wyatt, Mr. Ivie successfully litigated a multimillion-dollar sex discrimination class action against a major California healthcare provider, which resulted in the elimination of the nine-month pregnancy exclusion as a preexisting condition for health insurance.
Mr. Ivie has handled general liability, civil rights, real estate, transactional and contractual matters for well-known restaurants, utility companies and entertainment companies. He regularly represents a large commercial construction company in lease disputes and negotiations.
Mr. Ivie received both his J.D. and his undergraduate degree from University of California, Los Angeles. He served as the Chairman of the Board of the UCLA Black Alumni Association for 10 years, working to maintain diversity at the University and raise funds for scholarships for African-American students.
Mr. Ivie is often invited to speak at various State Bar of California events and has spoken on topics such as ethics, effective fee agreements, interacting with judges and opening a law office
• University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 1977
• University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 1973
• Los Angeles County Commission on Insurance, Commissioner, 1993-2005
• Los Angeles County Commission for Public Social Services, Commissioner
• State Bar Committee on Professional Liability Insurance
• UCLA Black Alumni Association, Board Member and former Chairman of the Board
• CAM Foundation, Board of Directors
• Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
• Association of Southern California Defense Counsel, Member
• National Bar Association, Member
• John M. Langston Bar Association, Member
• Consumer Attorneys of California, Member
Honors and awards
• John M. Langston Bar Association Hall of Fame Inductee
• John M. Langston Bar Association “Lawyer of the Year”
• Greater Los Angeles African American Chamber of Commerce “Lawyer of The Year”
• Southern Christian Leadership Conference “Drum Major Award”
• Jean D. Burke Foundation Award for Community Support and Pro Bono Work
• Los Angeles Business Journal – Leaders in Law Award (finalist)